Arising from this Pastoral Letter of Pope Benedict, the Bishops of Ireland published in December 2010 a resource leaflet called Friday Penance.
In it the following are suggested as ways of fulfilling Friday penance:
- Abstaining from meat or some other food
- Abstaining from alcoholic drink or smoking
- Making a special effort at involvement in family prayer
- Making a special effort to participate in Mass on Fridays
- Visiting the Blessed Sacrament
- Making the Stations of the Cross
- Fasting from all food for a longer period than usual and perhaps giving what is saved to the needy
- Helping the poor, sick, old or lonely
See leaflet here.